POST OP – Scale & Clean, Root Planning & Periodontal Treatment
- For pain or discomfort you may take over-the counter pain medication.
- Avoid eating crunchy, spicy, or hot foods for the first 24 hours after treatment.
- Rinse with warm salt water (1 tsp. salt in 1-cup warm water) 2 to 3 times daily until your gums are no longer sore.
- Brush gently today even if your gums are tender to help remove the plaque that has started to reform. Start flossing, once a day, the day after your treatment.
- Avoid toothpicks and electric tooth brushes until the day after treatment.
- You may also start rinsing with Listerine mouth rinse 2 x a day, the day after treatment to help reduce the plaque build-up on your teeth.
- Sensitivity to hot and cold is very common after periodontal treatment. It usually resolves within a few weeks. If it does persist, we will recommend a special toothpaste which can help decrease the sensitivity.
- You may notice as the gum tissue heals and the swelling goes away, more of the tooth’s root surface will be exposed. This is part of the normal healing process after periodontal treatment.
- Follow all prescribed home care instructions exactly as directed. Success of treatment directly depends on excellent oral hygiene at home.